- Is there any scar left after breast augmentation?
- Incision methods used in breast augmentation with an implant.
- When do the scars after breast augmentation becomes invisible?
- Is it possible to remove the scars after breast augmentation operation?
- It is important that you choose the right surgeon.
Is there any scar left after breast augmentation?
Breast augmentation is generally performed through fat transfer or implants. Breast augmentation with fat transfer is completed with the help of thin cannulas. Therefore, people may not have any doubts about the possibility of scars after fat transfer.
For breast augmentation through implants, the situation is slightly different. Since the implants are placed into the breast with an incision, people may be concerned about the scars. It is natural to have this kind of concern, but it does not fully reflect the truth.
The incisions made for the implants are very minimal and the formation possibility of large permanent scars is very low. However, since breast augmentation is aesthetic surgery, the patient’s wishes are prioritized. For this reason, implants are placed in the breast from points where scars can easily be hidden, in case of scarring. Besides that, an experienced surgeon selects the techniques to prevent scar formation and operates through these techniques.
Incision methods used in breast augmentation with implant.
To take a closer look at the scars after breast augmentation, it is important to know which incision methods are used in the operations.
Here are the methods:
Inframammary Incision: It is the incision made below the breast. This type of incision is often used nowadays and is very effective at concealing the scar even if occurs.
Transaxillary Incision: It is the incision made under the armpits. Through transaxillary incision, no scar will be possible in the breast area. However, the method requires a great deal of expertise, particularly in the placement of implants to the breast.
Periareolar Incision: It is the incision that follows the outer line surrounding the nipple.
The surgeon decides which of these methods will be used, according to the needs and wishes of the patient. In addition, scars after breast augmentation depend on the method of incision, as well as the size and placement of the implant.
When do the scars after breast augmentation becomes invisible?
Approximately 8 to 10 months after breast augmentation, if there is no abnormality, the scars will lose their visibility and full recovery will occur. In the first place, a rapid change may not occur in the section where the incisions are made. During this period, scars are light pink or red. Over time, this color changes and takes the skin tone. In this process, it is important to be patient and not to worry. In the absence of an extreme problem, tissue healing will be completed. Recovery time may vary according to genetic factors, age, skin color, and skin type. Therefore, it is essential to evaluate this process by considering personal differences.
Is it possible to remove the scars after breast augmentation operation?
Although there are no visible scars left after breast augmentation, people may be uncomfortable with the changes in their bodies.
In this case, we have some suggestions to reduce the visibility of the scars:
- Use a supportive bra: If your surgeon recommends, using a supportive bra all day, help you to have less pressure on your breasts. But you have to be careful what kind of bra you prefer. A bra that tightens the skin and exerts pressure on the breast can cause the condition to worsen.
- Use creams: You can use antibacterial or silicone-based creams for 2 to 3 weeks if your surgeon has prescribed them. Antibacterial creams prevent the wound from being infected, while silicone-based creams help to remove the scar. It is also a good idea to use a moisturizer approved by your surgeon to reduce the tension of the skin in the treated area.
- Do not smoke: The use of cigarettes and tobacco products slows blood flow and preventing the skin from meeting oxygen. Also, these products increase the risk of infection by damaging white blood cells. Smoking delays the wound healing process and increases the possibility of scar formation.
- Gently massage: Gently massaging the treated area can accelerate blood flow in the area, allowing the scar to become invisible.
- Eat healthily: Unprocessed foods that are rich in vitamins and minerals allow new tissue formation. This ensures the repair of damaged skin.
- Increase water intake: Drinking plenty of water keeps the body moist and increases the elasticity of the skin.
- Make sure that the wound is not exposed to direct sunlight until full recovery takes place. Similarly, you must take care not to visit the tanning booth.
- If your surgeon considers it appropriate, take vitamin E supplements or use creams containing vitamin E.
- Do not scratch the treated area, do not attempt to remove the scabs.
- Choose cotton clothes that will not irritate your skin.
- Do not shower with very hot water.
- Avoid heavy exercise.
Recently, different methods and products have been developed for the treatment of scars that may occur after breast augmentation. Specifically, the scar tapes which are applied directly on the wound make a great contribution to a good result. Besides, the laser is considered as a very effective scar treatment method.
Before all this, you must make the right choice of surgeon. A qualified surgeon who can fully manage the breast augmentation process will prevent scars after the operation. Also, you may not face scars due to developing technology and not need these recommendations.
It is important that you choose the right surgeon.
There is no possibility of a severe scar after a successful breast augmentation. Therefore, you can eliminate this problem right from the beginning by choosing the right surgeon.
When breast augmentation is performed through implants, it is possible to open the incision in the breast area. However, your surgeon has a serious influence on incision not to become a scar. The implants can be placed at a small point under the breast, as mentioned above. In this case, the incision is not visible because it remains under the breast. An important detail is that the biggest cause of scars after breast augmentation is the operations performed by non-specialists.
During breast augmentation operation by fat transfer, no incision is made. Therefore there is no room for any suspicion associated with scars. However, the rate at which fat is transferred to the breast and the outcome depends on the expertise of the surgeon.
For all these reasons, you should make clear to your surgeon if you have any concerns about the scars after breast augmentation. During the communication with your surgeon, all details of the operation; you can learn the pros and cons, create realistic expectations. Creating realistic expectations will keep you from being disappointed.